Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chapter 30 - View from Stephansdom Tower, Vienna

After touring the cathedral and the catatombs, Bob and Kate wanted to go up to the top of the South Tower. I went along and told myself I'd be fine. In the elevator we chatted with the operator who told us he does his job for nine hours every day. (No, I'm not going to do a bad pun about ups and downs of the job.) As soon as we exited the elevator, I felt funny - dizzy, lightheaded, weak-kneed - all the symptoms of the acrophobic. But I soldiered on, just grasped the handrails with a death grip! Luckily they have it screened side and top; they don't want anyone to fall ... or jump. What a mess that would make in the lovely cobblestoned Stephansplatz.

The roof of Stephansdom is so steep that it doesn't have to be cleaned; the rain keeps it clean, and snow seldom covers it. The South Tower, affectionately called "Steffl" (Steve) by the Viennese, is 445 feet high and offers a magnificent view. There are two or three levels on top of the tower - I'm not sure. I sat down as soon as I could, and the foolhardy and reckless Bob and Kate ventured higher. They took all the pictures.



Look how steep the roof is. It has a beautiful design,
too. Bet there were no handrails when they built that roof!




I gradually regained my equilibrium as I sat on
the step. Behind me is the door to the bells.










Brave girl to go so high!






No comments:

Post a Comment