Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chapter 25 - Kunsthistorisches Museum

The title sounds quite mysterious, doesn't it? It just means Art History Museum, and it is a wonderful place. It was built over twenty years from 1871 to 1891 and was intended to collect and display all the art treasures collected over the centuries by the Habsburgs. Directly across the square is the identical Naturehistorisches Museum, or Natural History Museum, which we haven't seen yet.

Inside the Art History Museum are some of the world's great art, including treasures from Egypt, Greece and Rome; the world's largest coin museum; and my favorite, paintings by the old masters. Included are works by Titan, Rubens, both Holbeins, Durer, Rembrandt, Raphael, Velazquez, and the Brueghels. One painting I was particularly eager to see was the portrait of Jane Seymour (third wife of Henry VIII) by Hans Holbein the Younger. It is so beautiful with such exquisite detail and humanity. I think you could stand there for hours just gazing at it.

Bob, Kate and I had a great time wandering through the various galleries. I don't think you're supposed to take pictures inside, but I saw many people doing it. We just took a few - sorry for how dark they are. (A new digital camera is definitely on my list - one that won't blink red forever and with a better flash - but that's another story.)

Two views of the museum. That's Kate in the foreground.




Kate and me on the first floor gallery (2nd floor
for us parvenu Americans).


Rule or not, I had to have a picture of me with the
fabulous portrait of Jane Seymour.


Bob and me on the grand staircase leading from
ground to first floor.


I think this is what Bob would like to do to me
for dragging him through another museum.


My fascination with doors continues. This is the front
door of the museum, and it's extremely hard to pull open.
But it's awesome, isn't it?


This statue of Empress Maria Theresa occupies the center of the
square between the two museums. She is holding the Pragmatic
Sanction of 1713, which allowed a woman to succeed to the
throne. All around the base are her various generals. I
think it's fitting to have the woman on top and the men on
a lower level, don't you? It didn't happen very often in
history.

No comments:

Post a Comment