Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chapter 81 - London - Sightseeing 1

Remember the "Friends" episode when the group went to London for Ross's wedding? Joey kept exclaiming, "London, baby!" That refrain ran through my head while Colin and I rode on the red double decker bus. We went on 'The Original Tour,' which is London's most popular (that's what it says on their brochure). It's an off/on tour which was great for me since I was able to get off when I wanted to see something more closely, but it allowed me to ride all over the city. I would never have been able to walk it. We didn't do the river cruise since although it was mid-May, it was freezing cold. It was quite a thrill to see up close the places I'd only seen on TV and the movies.

Big Ben, nickname for the bell on the clock tower at the north end of the Palace of Westminster, is the largest four-faced chiming clock and the third tallest free-standing clock tower in the world.

A clock tower was first built here in 1288, and the current Big Ben, built in Gothic Revival style of limestone cladding and cast iron, first began ticking in 1859. It is 315.9 feet high, and there are 334 limestone stairs to the top of the tower. That's a climb I'd never make!

Parliament, also known as the Palace of Westminster. The first palace on this site was built in the 11th century and served as the residence of monarchs. After several fires and renovations, the palace was almost totally destroyed by a fire in 1834.

The current Palace was built in Perpendicular Gothic style over 30 years beginning in 1840, covers eight acres and contains than 1,100 rooms. The House of Commons chamber had to be rebuilt after German bombing in 1941.

A view of Big Ben and Parliament from up the Thames


Buckingham Palace, the official residence of British monarchs, was initially built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703. Acquired by George III to be the "Queen's House" for Queen Charlotte, it was later enlarged in the 19th century and remodeled to its present form in 1913. Queen Victoria was the first monarch to live in it as her official residence after her accession to the throne in 1837.


The Queen's flag is flying over Buckingham Palace which means she's in residence.


We had gone to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, but a policeman told us it wasn't happening that day because the Queen was hosting a special ceremony for the families of British soldiers in Afghanistan.


It was exciting to see it because although the Changing of the Guard takes place almost every day, this is a less common event.






You've seen pictures of Englishwomen in their hats at formal occasions and frequently shook your head at some of the choices. Every one of the women at this event wore a hat, many matching their outfits, many of them quite bizarre to behold.


Part of the fountain at the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain


We saw these painted elephant statues all over London. The guide explained that various designers and artists decorated the 154-lb statues to raise awareness of the plight of Asian elephants which are more endangered than their African cousins.


Here's a row of them in Hyde Park. Over 250 of the statues were dotted around London before being sold at auction at Sotheby's in June.


Statue of Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), celebrated English nurse, writer and statistician, most famous for her work with sick and wounded British soldiers during the Crimean War.


Colin went another day to see the Changing of the Guard.


Kate's flat was located on the Baker Street Line of the tube (subway). When you exit the trains to street level, you see these Sherlock Holmes silhouettes.


I got a big kick out of them because Bob and I are huge fans of the Sherlock Holmes movies, but only the ones starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.


Colin took this picture of Kate and me on Mother's Day. We ate at a fabulous restaurant near Hampton Court Palace.


Of course no trip to London is complete without shopping in trendy stores. Kate and Colin had a good time.


For Bob's benefit I'll say I didn't buy anything.


This is the Royal Court where many famous trials have taken place.


More London sightseeing next time.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Karen Shendel

    Hello. My name is Yuka Azuma. I'm am editor of a publishing company in Tokyo, Japan. We publish various books and news for school kids. Now I am searching a photo of Nightingale's bronze statue in London. And I've found it in your blog. I don't know well about blog, so I'm not sure if it is ok to ask you in this way. If it's rude, I'm sorry.

    I'd like to ask you if I can print your photo in our news which should be seen by a lot of kids in Japan. Of course I'll put your credit on the photo. 3 workers including me are looking for the photo, so other member might find one faster than me. In such a case I don't need find any more. But now I'm on. So if you let me know whether it is possible or not to use your photo for our news, I'll really appreciate your kindness.

    I don't know how to write my profile which is needed to post this mail, so I put my company's URL after my name. Anyway, thank you very much for your attention.


    Yuka Azuma
    editor
    Shonen Shashin Shimbunsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I made a mistake. I didn't intend to show my comment to everyone. I'm sorry. Please remove my comment. If you give me a reply, please send an e-mail to the following address.

    kokoro-news@schoolpress.co.jp.

    Thank you.

    Yuka

    ReplyDelete