Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chapter 64 - Washington, D.C., Part 1

Until now this blog has concerned our adventures in Europe, but last month I went to visit Kate in D.C. I've never been there - hard to believe for a history teacher - and I want to include the visit in the blog.

I could have been cool, but I decided to be the unabashed, eager tourist I really am! I've seen all these sights in countless TV shows and movies, but it really is different when you're there (reminds me of that old CBS show in the 1950s - "You Are There" sonorously declared in a bass voice, and then they'd put you somewhere in history). I enjoyed the trip immensely and plan to cover it in four blogs.

Andrews Air Force Base is familiarly known as the arrival and departure point for the president and other U.S. and foreign dignitaries. I was privileged to be part of the crowd who watched President Obama arrive from the White House on the Marine One helicopter, then take off on Air Force One.

Here we are on arrival at the base.


We wait in the VIP lounge.


Air Force One is ready and waiting.


I have a good vantage point.


Here comes the Marine One helicopter from the White House with President Obama on board.


Pictures of the president walking from Marine One to Air Force One




A last wave for the crowd


Air Force One taxis down the runway.


Air Force One taking off


Our next stop was the White House. It's so impressive when you first stare up the driveway.


A few pictures of the beautiful gardens






We were told that all the tourists at the White House that morning would have the opportunity to see President Obama leave on Marine One. That doesn't happen very often so I was excited to get the opportunity. Ironically, at Andrews I'd already seen the second part of the president traveling somewhere so it was nice to see the first part of another visit now.

View of the South Lawn from the White House. The crowd waited for Marine One to appear.


Marine One approaches the South Lawn.


Now we just wait for the president.


Everything's ready for the president.


The president on his way from the West Wing




A snappy salute for the Commander-in-Chief


Taking off


On his way to Andrews


The history of the White House is well known so I'm not going to reiterate it here. Anything you want to know can be found online anyway. There are so many available pictures of the interior rooms, and so many TV documentaries have aired, that I was surprised that interior photography is forbidden. Suffice it to say the White House doesn't disappoint. The East Room, the Blue Room, the Green Room, all those and more, live up to their reputation. Kate's friend, John, had offered to give us a private tour of the White House. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and John knew so many of the little personal tidbits that enliven a tour.

Back outside








On Pennsylvania Avenue


The famous Willard Hotel


Driving around Washington, you can become overwhelmed by all the government buildings, the historic events that happened in them and the weight of their impact on our lives. Here's the Supreme Court.


The Treasury Building


Washington is a beautiful city with its wide streets, parks, government buildings and monuments, and much new architecture in office buildings downtown. I wanted to see Embassy Row because I'd heard there was significant variety in the sizes and types of buildings that represent countries from around the world. It didn't disappoint, and here a few pictures to close out this first D.C. blog. I don't know what countries they represent; there aren't large signs, and we were in the car. The only reason I picked these is simply to show variety of size and architecture.

















No comments:

Post a Comment