Friday, August 28, 2009

Chapter 52 - Lace Curtains and Window Boxes

I've always loved lace curtains, but back home I think I was one of very few people to use them. So I was delighted to see them in windows all over this area, including villages in Austria and Hungary, in larger towns like Eisenstadt and Wiener Neustadt and Vienna.

Here is a representative sampling.








Wandering around a store named Lutz one day, I spotted the fabric department. This is one of four tables piled high with lace curtains.


A closeup of one style.


What fascinated me is that these curtains require no sewing. They are in pre-measured lengths, and you cut along the side on a pre-set line for as wide as you want them. Voila! Curtains made to measure for your window.


I had always heard that people in Central Europe love flowers, and we've found that to be true. There are lovely gardens - public and private - everywhere. Any many people have window boxes.









On the government building in Siegendorf.




This house in Pottsching has especially beautiful window boxes and garden.


Sometimes they decorate a fence.


Or a railing at a Chinese restaurant in Eisenstadt.


Combining both my favorites at the Tercia Restaurant in the Hungarian village of Kophaza.




No comments:

Post a Comment